A heat pump can fail to cool for several reasons, including a low refrigerant charge, a faulty compressor, or a clogged air filter. To get to the root of the issue and make any necessary repairs, it’s important to have a professional come in and inspect your system. In this blog post, we’ll explore the causes of low cooling output in a geothermal heat pump and what might be done to fix it.
6 Reasons Your Geothermal Heat Pump Isn’t Cooling
- Insufficient refrigerant: A geothermal heat pump relies on refrigerant to absorb and release heat. If the system doesn’t have enough refrigerant, it will struggle to cool your home. Leaks in the system may cause low refrigerant levels. An experienced technician can inspect, repair and recharge the system with the correct amount of refrigerant
- Issues with the ground loop: A geothermal heat pump circulates fluid through the ground to exchange energy. If the ground loop has lost some pressure, the flow centre pump is underperforming, or the antifreeze is wearing off, it can impact your heat pump’s heating and cooling performance
- Dirty air filter: A dirty air filter can block airflow and cause your geothermal heat pump to work harder than necessary. Over time, the filter can become clogged with dust and debris, reducing the cooling output. Cleaning or replacing the filter regularly can help keep your system running smoothly
- Faulty thermostat: If the thermostat is malfunctioning, it may not send the correct signals to the geothermal heat pump, leading to insufficient cooling output. Checking the thermostat’s settings and reprogramming or replacing it if necessary can solve the problem
- Faulty compressor: The compressor is the heart of the geothermal heat pump, responsible for circulating refrigerant and pressurizing it to absorb heat. If the compressor is faulty, it can’t efficiently cool your home. A professional technician can diagnose and repair or replace the compressor as needed.
Contact Your ClimateCare Experts Today
Is your geothermal heat pump not keeping you cool? Don’t suffer in the heat any longer. Contact your nearest ClimateCare specialists today to book an appointment.