Imagine your HVAC system’s heart is your air conditioner, furnace, or heat pump. Your ducts are then like the veins and arteries that carry the cozy air in and out of your home’s living areas. Ventilation systems and duct design, therefore, need to be strategically planned in order to achieve optimum performance for your home heating and cooling.
Your ducts stay hidden away in your home and, most of the time, should be out of mind. Periodically, though, ducts CAN become a problem. Not all duct issues are easy to spot for you as the homeowner, which is why it’s important to set a system of regular maintenance in place because ductwork problems can add up if ignored. Your home is a safe place, and damaged ducts can destroy the integrity of the air you breathe. As difficult as it can be to thoroughly inspect your ducts yourself, if you suspect an issue, there are clues that can help you determine if you need ductwork replacement and professional support, or merely a minor clean-up.
Here Are The Signs You Need To Know That Indicate Your Ductwork Has An Issue
- Old ductwork: Keep in mind the age of your ductwork. The quality of a home’s ductwork will deteriorate over an extended period of time. If your ducts are 10 years old or older, it’s time to proactively schedule a check to see how things are; and fix any unforeseen issues like minor leaks or bugs.
- Dust and dirt around the air vents: An unclean air duct can spell a lot of trouble. Your family could be exposed to allergens, fungus, and mould that can cause serious respiratory problems. If you see dust and dirt accumulating around your air vents it can mean that there is an issue with the filtration in your air ducts. HVAC systems are built to circulate the air through your home, and damaged ductwork hampers their role of fully cleaning the air in your home.
- Poor airflow: Insufficient airflow is a common problem. Sometimes, it can be an easily-solved issue like redecorating your home which blocked a register that you might have forgotten about. But weak airflow can also be because of ductwork that is undersized, dirty, or has broken seals, cracks, or tears that allow air to leak out. If this type of persistent problem presents itself in your home, your best course of action is to call in a professional. Your local ClimateCare technicians are on hand to support you. Find the one closest to you here.
- Odorous air or signs of mould: If your house has a new, or worsening, funky smell when you turn on your AC or heater, or if you see mould around your home, that can indicate you have an air duct leak, or poorly insulated ducts. Mould should never be ignored because it poses health risks to your family, and if left unattended for too long, it can cause irreparable damage to your home. If you come into contact with odours or mould, it’s best to reach out to your HVAC professional right away.
- Signs of bugs or pests: If your ductwork has cracks and crevices, please know it’s an invitation to insects and other pests. Even racoons can sneak in if you have larger holes! The way you’ll know is if you hear regular sounds in your ducts, or see dead insects or bug droppings in and around your vents. Once again, in this case, you’ll need to call a professional. Your HVAC professional, as well as professionals who can help you remove the infestation, and seal your ductwork to avoid more issues in the future.
If you have seen one or more of these signs, you are right to be concerned about your ductwork. Reach out to your local ClimateCare HVAC technician. They will bring their expertise to solve your ductwork issues.