Most furnaces these days are purchased with two factors in mind:
Modern furnace models are always more efficient than those made 20 or more years ago, and there are a range of performance options across budget levels. Budget is primarily impacted by efficiency, and the efficiency rating of a new furnace is expressed through Annual Fuel Utilization ratings (AFUE).
Here’s how you can decipher AFUE and find the best balance between efficiency and price.
How AFUE ratings work
The AFUE rating applies to all furnaces using:
- Natural gas.
The rating is read as a percentage of fuel paid for vs fuel returned as heat. So a furnace with a 98% AFUE rating returns 98% of the fuel you pay for as heat. The remaining 2% is lost in the conversion and burning process.
Once a new furnace is manufactured, it is evaluated (not by the manufacturer) based on the energy losses that occur due to changing demands, and during the cyclic on and off functions.
This calculation is made based on ideal circumstances, including error-free installation. It’s worth noting that not all furnaces are the same, and specialized installation knowledge for each manufacturer is required for error-free installations. That’s why our members maintain a regular schedule of manufacturer and industry related training.
Minimum requirements for new furnaces
Canada is a leader in furnace energy efficiency requirements. The US requires furnaces to achieve a range of efficiencies, like:
- Oil powered furnaces- 82%
- Oil-fired boilers and gas furnaces- 83%
- Non-weather gas furnaces- 80%
- Mobile home gas furnaces- 80%
The Canadian federal government requires a minimum AFUE of 90% on new furnaces, and the provincial British Columbia government is currently mulling over a step up to 94% AFUE.
How much $$$ can you save?
Switching to a newer and more efficient furnace will lead to cost savings, but most homeowners don’t know exactly what to expect. Will a new furnace allow you to save for a trip to Argentina? Or a trip to Swiss Chalet?
The American Council for Energy Efficient Economy broke down the savings that could be experienced when a homeowners switches from an old furnace of 50% AFUE, to a new model with a 95% rating.
- For each $100 a homeowner with the 50% model spent, a homeowner with a 95% AFUE furnace would spend $53. Potentially thousands of $$$ in savings in a year.
For the sake of simplicity, it works out to about $1 per percentage of efficiency. So a 98% AFUE furnace will save about $40 per month on a $200 heating bill over an 80% AFUE furnace. Over the lifetime of the furnace it will pay for itself, a replacement, and a trip for the whole family to Argentina. Not bad!
Get a quick quote today
It doesn’t take much to get an accurate quote on your new furnace and installation. Just call your local ClimateCare contractor and you’ll get the most accurate, transparent quote around.